I’m lousy with color combinations. My 11 yr old knows her colors better than me and every time she makes something with different colors, they always seem to complement each other. I have never seen her fretting over them. Maybe it isn’t very hard; but every time I try out something, I will always have a million doubts about the colors chosen and I am inclined to ask at least half a dozen people and some more, their opinions. And I still wouldn’t feel completely confident.
Here’s a website I came across that features a color combination sheet (if any of you face the same trouble I have) :
The below graphics are taken from the site and they also have a description of these combinations. I shall refer to this from now on.
Combinations of individual colors :
- White: combines with everything, especially blue, red and black.
- Beige: combines with blue, brown, emerald, black, red, white.
- Gray: combines with fuchsia, red, violet, pink, blue.
- Pink: combines with brown, white, mint green, olive, gray, turquoise, light blue.
- Fuchsia (dark pink): combines with gray, yellow-brown, lime, mint green, brown.
- Red: combines with yellow, white, green, blue, black.
- Tomato-red: combines with cyan, mint green, sand, creamy-white, gray.
- Cherry-red: combines with azure, gray, light-orange, sandy, pale-yellow, beige.
- Raspberry-red: combines with white, black, damask rose.
- Brown: combines with bright-cyan, cream, pink, fawn, green, beige.
- Light-brown: combines with pale-yellow, cream-white, blue, green, purple, red.
- Dark-brown: combines with lime-yellow, cyan, mint green, purple-pink, lime.
- Reddish-brown: combines with pink, dark-brown, blue, green, purple.
- Orange: combines with cyan, blue, lilac, violet, white, black.
- Light-orange: combines with gray, brown, olive.
- Dark-orange: combines with pale-yellow, olive, brown, cherry.
- Yellow: combines with blue, lilac, light-cyan, violet, gray, black.
- Lemon-yellow: combines with cherry-red, brown, blue, gray.
- Pale-yellow: combines with fuchsia, gray, brown, shades of red, yellowish brown, blue, purple.
- Golden yellow: combines with gray, brown, azure, red, black.
- Olive: combines with orange, light-brown, brown.
- Green: combines with golden-brown, orange, salad green, yellow, brown, gray, cream, black, creamy-white.
- Salad green: combines with brown, yellowish-brown, fawn, gray, dark-blue, red, gray.
- Turquoise: combines with fuchsia, cherry-red, yellow, brown, cream, dark-violet.
- Electric colors: combines with golden-yellow, brown, light brown, gray, or silver.
- Cyan: combines with red, gray, brown, orange, pink, white, yellow.
- Dark-blue: combines with light-lilac, cyan, yellowish-green, brown, gray, pale-yellow, orange, green, red, white.
- Lilac: combines with orange, pink, dark-violet, olive, gray, yellow, white.
- Dark-violet: combines with golden-brown, pale-yellow, gray, turquoise, mint green, light-orange.
- Black is a universal color — it looks elegant in any combination, especially with orange, pink, salad green, white, red, mauve, or yellow.